My Sister Jen

>> 30 April 2008

Allow me to speak on a personal level for a bit here.

(I'm not really asking for permission; it's just a courtesy to say something like that).

Jen is probably reading this and thinking: "Oh no. I've done something to upset my brother and now he's going to write about me on his blog!" Something akin to being put "On Notice" on The Colbert Report, except the host is not as witty and the viewership most definitely does not rank in the millions.

My oldest sister Jen had her birthday yesterday. How old? None of your business.

I thought that I should at least take the opportunity to talk about her a bit, considering that she helped -- and not taking anything away from Shigeko -- raise me in small ways. She was half of the two-man translation team that I needed until I was about 4 years old, because I spoke gibberish and my parents didn't. After I had quit piano at 3 years old or so, and wanted to try and pick it back up a few years later, Jen was the one willing to give me lessons. She was the leader of our 3-man backseat choir that entertained me and my sisters on long road trips -- this will possibly be traced back to as the source if either of my parents fall victim to early dementia.

She let me hang out with her and her high school friends when I was growing up. Let me cheer her at her high school soccer games and track meets. Wrote me every month on my mission and was always encouraging and supportive. Let me crash at her place for four months during the summer of '05 (questions about my obsessively health-oriented eating habits can attribute it to the summer I stayed with Jen).

She is an amazing cook, great athlete, avid reader, polished piano player (chalk one up on the alliteration board)...Most important to me, thoughtful sister and patient and loving mother.

Happy Birthday, Jen!

(Yes, I did write this on 1 May...I was going to write and post it on 30 April, but I was eating Burmese food, and can always modify the date to make it look like it was written on 30 April. Technology-- Wow)

3 ideas preached:

Peg and Parker Thu May 01, 09:11:00 PM EDT  

Thanks Josh, that was fun to get to know Jen. Dressed up like a girl huh? I don't see any outward damage. Sure wish I could have heard the singing on the road trips though! Happy Birthday Jen!

jendw Mon May 05, 06:39:00 PM EDT  

Aw, I just read this

jendw Mon May 05, 06:48:00 PM EDT  

(I pushed the post button too soon). Thanks Josh, that was a great birthday present. It made me feel all gooshy inside. Besides the cross-dressing, I thought my most important contribution to your development was not letting you give up on reading the Hobbit.

And thanks to peg and parker too for the birthday wishes.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP