My Thanks

>> 07 November 2007

Through a recent effort to inform myself about the world and its history, I've unfortunately found that in our world, war is not always avoidable.

In fact, it seems that wars are not just unavoidable on occasion -- they are
inevitable. Conflict appears to engulf all global issues, and it is usually the result of indiscriminate hatred or some moron who feels they are entitled to more at the expense of the freedom of others... or some twisted combination of both. It is an unyielding disease of take, take, take, and it is more than a little depressing to read about day in and day out.

Lately, however, what has struck me more poignantly is that there is a flip-side to that coin: Giving, e.g. those who serve or have served in our Armed Forces. Their motivations for enlisting may differ slightly -- some fight to protect the freedoms of loved ones at home. Some, for the freedom of people in other countries. Others, to try and improve the world around them. I can't speak for each individual. When it comes down to it, the universal and unifying aspects to it all is their
willingness to serve and sense of duty.

My heartfelt gratitude goes out to those men and women who, without hesitation, willingly go to distant and foreign lands to fight because they love their country and their fellow man.

I don't know why, but recently, every time I hear the National Anthem at a sporting event, or see uniformed servicemen walking through the airport, my eyes well up. It makes me grateful for what has been given by them and their predecessors, and makes me think about what I should be willing to give; not just to ensure the future freedoms of our country and the world, but also as a token of my gratitude for all of those unknowns that willingly served their country.

Happy Veterans' Day, everyone. Whether you agree with America's involvement in current conflicts or not, remember why we have it.

6 ideas preached:

Jenna Thu Nov 08, 12:22:00 PM EST  

That one gave me the chills. Great entry!

Anonymous Thu Nov 08, 04:59:00 PM EST  

Good call Josh.

M. Foster Fri Nov 09, 01:54:00 AM EST  

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts and insights - I very much appreciated this post. I will most assuredly be thinking of all the men and women who have served or are serving our country to protect and fight for their freedom, as well as ours. Happy Veterans Day to all.

caseytanner Sun Nov 11, 06:15:00 PM EST  

i've been trying to show respect by being reverent during the National Anthem. It's amazing what kind of return you can get out of being minutely thoughtful.

Juli Mon Nov 12, 08:12:00 PM EST  

Nice post Josh. You've come a long way from your initial few posts. But feel free to return to those complaining ways anytime, as they are funny.

My medical school was full of raving pinkos. One day everyone was talking about the possibility of a draft in our "touchy-feely" class. These fellow medical students asserted that if the draft were reinstated and they were drafted into the military (as doctors, not soldiers) they would dodge the draft because they don't support our current President (I think this was a rationalization by these clever folks. They would dodge a call to serve no matter who extended it.).

I was deeply ashamed of these people. How can you turn a blind eye to the myriad blessings of living in this country? If my country needed me to serve badly enough to draft me, you can bet I would be there do to anything needed of me--including active duty. And if it was just to be a military doctor for a while, that isn't much of a sacrifice compared to what my country has given me.

And it would pale in comparison to the sacrifices of the many that we honor today.

Thanks for reminding us of what we should be willing to sacrifice for our country.

Peg and Parker Tue Nov 13, 11:50:00 AM EST  

Thanks for the reminder Josh. I feel as you do when the patriotism wells up. I was reading my uncle Charles Arnett's journal(partly quoted in "Saints At War") for a Veterans Day program and read the account of his being shot down over Holland. The story in very moving and the freeing of the prisoners is very dramatic. Honestly, thanks for a sober reminder and a sympathetic hand over my heart. Peg

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP