The Watered-Down Approach: Making Less More

>> 28 November 2007

I would hope that out of all the places that I would tune down my willingness to observe, it would be a public men's restroom. However, today I was at the sink and tapped the soap dispenser, and instead of the thick, soap-like goo that usually comes out, out came some half-soap, half-water diluted solution. I thought to myself: Those cheapos. Now they're watering down the soap.

Then I realized that we all do this. You know what I'm talking about. You get in the shower and realize that you're getting low on shower gel or shampoo. What do you do? Screw off the top and put some water in there. You've just transformed your two-day's worth of remaining shower gel into at least ten-day's worth. The same goes for dish soap -- in college I witnessed a bottle of Dawn last for at least a year -- and any number of other liquids. Efficiency? Laziness? Good hygiene exchanged for frugality? Tomato, Tomahto.

Chris Rock pointed out that his parents did it: When I was a kid, we didn't have no insurance. All we had was Robitussin. My parents thought " 'tussin" could fix anything. "Daddy, I got a cold" "Drink some 'tussin, boy" "Daddy, I broke my leg" "Pour some 'tussin on that bone, boy...let it work its way down to the bone, it'll set it straight...What? We're almost out of 'tussin?? Pour some water in the bottle, shake it up! Mo' 'tussin! Mo' 'tussin!" (the italics used to indicate Chris' monologue were not used because he was yelling, but to more clearly illustrate his shrill, high-pitched voice ringing in your ears.)

I suppose the only time I'll really feel this approach is worth it is when I can work a watered-down gasoline situation; you know, 50% water (free), 50% gasoline ($3+/gallon)...you know, without the whole ruin your engine part of it. Then we'd be sticking it to OPEC.

8 ideas preached:

Anonymous Wed Nov 28, 08:24:00 PM EST  

I'm pretty sure the soap wasn't gone because we didn't wash the dishes:)

Anonymous Thu Nov 29, 12:42:00 PM EST  

I had an epiphany in the shower this morning. This reminded me of my great test of watered down milk versus skim milk. I swear a cup of whole milk could make like three gallons of skim.

Jenna Thu Nov 29, 01:38:00 PM EST  

That's so funny. I just watered down my conditioner yesterday : )

JD Fri Nov 30, 07:25:00 AM EST  

j-
all of your good thoughts come to you when you're naked...that, or you spend the majority of the time your time naked, so the chances of having an epiphany while such is higher. well, i suppose you are a tanner, after all...

Ben Fri Nov 30, 12:13:00 PM EST  

One thing you can't water down: water.
Another thing: love

Tiffany Fri Nov 30, 02:00:00 PM EST  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany Fri Nov 30, 02:07:00 PM EST  

When I was younger, I used to water down the soap so I didn't have to refill it. I think others in my family did it too so we were probably essentially cleaning out hands with water!

Anonymous Sat Dec 01, 11:34:00 PM EST  

I became very irate the other day in the shower, when I realized my fancy new (but empty) body wash bottle lid does not unscrew! I had to try and aim a small stream of water down that tiny hole on top of the bottle. It's like they anticipated my cheapness...

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP