A Quick Postal Anecdote

>> 07 May 2008

I walked into the Post Office the other day to mail some stuff.

(Of course I was mailing stuff when I went to the Post Office. Don't mind me. I'm a moron.)

I hadn't been in there for more than a minute when a guy came right up to me, held up a pen, and matter-of-factly said: "Here's your pen. Thanks for letting me use this." He seemed quite certain that I had lent him the pen.

I was quite certain that I hadn't.

"I'm sorry, this isn't my pen."

Now finding myself curious as to who he could have confused me with, I watched the man as he took the pen back and began scanning the room for the owner. I really should have guessed it beforehand; I knew it as soon as that look of recognition swept across his face and I saw who he was looking at. He crossed the room and handed the pen to the actual owner-- the other Asian man that happened to be there. When he saw me with a resigned smirk on my face, he shrugged his shoulders as if to say "well, you do look alike."

I don't see why I can't get away with this when I don't recognize a white person that I'm supposed to at church.

8 ideas preached:

Ashley Clark Thu May 08, 12:24:00 AM EDT  

Oh goodness. That's awkward.

Anonymous Thu May 08, 12:27:00 AM EDT  

You must be good at math

Anonymous Thu May 08, 11:09:00 AM EDT  

That's hillarious!

Peg and Parker Thu May 08, 08:00:00 PM EDT  

Did that really happen? Or did you bring your notes on that one?

Jenna Thu May 08, 09:08:00 PM EDT  

"So are you Chinese or Japanese?"

"I'm Laotian (sp?)."

(Confused Pause)

"So, are you Chinese or Japanese?"

I've never seen that episode of "King of the Hill," but I thought of that immediately. Funny stuff!

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Fri May 09, 08:22:00 AM EDT  

At least he wasn't insensitive enough to just assume you had a rice cooker...i can't imagine anyone who would ever do that!

Ashley Clark Sat May 10, 04:55:00 AM EDT  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Doug Clark Sat May 10, 04:57:00 AM EDT  

I'm surprised you even saw him shrug his shoulders with how slanty your eyes are. Asians...



(yeah, that comment looked even weirder from with my wife's name on it so I removed it :) ))

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP