Life Experiences to Music

>> 22 May 2008

I've been thinking about quitting my job and chasing my dreams; of going into the studio and pounding out that rap album that I've always had bouncin around in my head...

...trading my inheritance for a bowl of porridge?
Not quite. But close.

But honestly, if anyone has listened to a rap album all the way through, characterizing it as 'formulaic' or 'unoriginal' is a Battlefield Earth understatement (with incredibly rare exception). What do rappers do on rap albums, you ask? Subject matter is usually confined to these or similar life experiences:

  1. Drugs, combined with expensive alcohol and/or malt liquor;
  2. The 'heat' [guns] they 'pack' [carry on their person];
  3. Women and how easy it is to find them;
  4. How many people from rival gangs they've shot/times they've been shot by rival gangs;
  5. The cars they own;
  6. Protecting turf;
  7. Dislike for and willingness to stand up to cops;
  8. Any combination of the above can make for a decent track
Simple, right? I mean, all I have to do is follow this equation, maybe chant my own name a few times, come up with a catch phrase or two, and I'm set for life. That's why I think I got this down pat.

Problem is, I think I lack the requisite life experiences to make a rap album.

I suppose the only thing I can do is take the most comparable life experiences that I have and throw them into the mix. Here are the closest personal parallels I could come up with for the above outline:
  1. Besides an affinity for certain smells that may or may not cause a bit of a "high," the closest I'm going to get is a restrained like for Nyquil.
  2. One time at the BB gun range at Cub Scout camp, I shot and destroyed the clothespin that was holding up my paper target -- three times! One of the counselors called me "dangerous" and "out of control."
  3. At my first boy-girl birthday party in 1st grade, one of the girls spent the whole time chasing and trying to kiss me. She was too slow to catch yours truly.
  4. Rye and I played paintball against some 10 year olds once. I think it's fair to say that we lit those punks up.
  5. I drive a '97 Honda Civic. It has a CD player and two cupholders; no modifications.
  6. When I get home from work and someone is parked in the spot closest to my door, I get semi-annoyed, but don't do anything about it.
  7. I got my first traffic ticket the other day. I promptly did exactly what the officer told me to and threw in a lot of "Yes, sir" 's as a show of good faith.
Maybe I'll hold off on booking studio time and space.

For now.


4 ideas preached:

Anonymous Thu May 22, 11:03:00 PM EDT  

Too funny.

Unknown Mon May 26, 03:21:00 PM EDT  

the sad news is that you almost look hardcore enough to pull it off... no one would ever need to know... except i guess us.. and it would be like watching the beasties. i mean- who are THEY kidding?

Ben Mon May 26, 08:38:00 PM EDT  

Josh, you should work with this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXb6bjCCtuY

You would be awesome.

Peg and Parker Thu May 29, 05:33:00 PM EDT  

I don't think you are that far from Snoop.. you know his recent "conversion". Said one reporter....... Though Snoop Dogg has been hesitant to publicly discuss his recent spiritual journey, he commented on the experience of attending his first “Family Home Evening” in a recent interview with People Magazine.

“I was hooked from the start,” Snoop Dogg said. “We talked about the purpose of life, played Mousetrap, and ate brownies. The kids thought it was off the hook, for real.”

I seem to remember the nativity curling to have the same meaning for you. Now just "Rap it Up"

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP