Cherry Blossoms at Sunrise -- Photo(s) of the Week 17 May 2010

>> 17 May 2010

Washington DC takes pride in the cherry blossom trees that Japan gave as gifts back in 1912. (History books tell us it was a gesture to signify the growing relationship between Japan and the US, but I think getting the trees was a last-ditch effort by President Taft to be remembered as "the dude that got us the trees" and not "wait...wasn't that the fat president?")

At any rate, there is about a two-week window in April where the blossoms are in bloom, and this year I dragged AM with me Easter morning so we could catch some sunrise photos down at the Tidal Basin. So sure, I suppose they're over a month old, but I still like them:

This one was taken with a fish-eye lens I borrowed from the man next to me because he basically shouted: "Anybody have a Nikon who wants to take a few shots with a fish-eye lens?" I basically snatched the lens out of his hand before he had finished his sentence, took a few shots, and was immediately filled with a consuming, covetous* Lens Lust (photographers out there know what I'm talking about). I reluctantly returned the lens. But don't think that I didn't start visualizing scenarios -- think Holmes while he's brawling in the latest Sherlock Holmes movie -- about how I could incapacitate the lens-owner and his buddy in four swift blows or less and run away with the lens.**

*(Yup. Guilty of breaking the 10th Commandment)
**(Go ahead and tack on breaking the 8th Commandment, as well)

Anyway. I'll send you off with a Happy Monday and three more that I felt turned out well (which of course you can click on to embiggin'):

5 ideas preached:

Kerstin Miller Mon May 17, 11:03:00 PM EDT  

wow! you are quite the photographer! If I had a nice camera I would probably covet lenses too...but I still take my pictures with a point and shoot camera! lol

BB Tue May 18, 03:06:00 PM EDT  

beautiful! thanks for sharing

Kate Wed May 19, 08:43:00 PM EDT  

Seriously, these pictures kill me. I have serious lens lust. There should probably be a support group for that.

jendw Thu May 20, 11:23:00 PM EDT  

Nice pictures! The fish-eye one is really cool

Amy Lovell Sun May 23, 12:48:00 AM EDT  

your photography skills aren't half bad. (That's my way of saying they're pretty stellar.)

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP