RoSA Returns

>> 06 December 2010

Goedemorgen. Ik heb teruggegeven.

WHOA. I return from my extended hiatus.

Let's face it -- in a figurative blogging sense, I'm feeling a bit like our Dutch friend, Mr. Rip Van Winkle: Slightly disoriented as I wipe the Blog Slumber from my bleary eyes; my blogging "muscles" are atrophied from sitting idle and have disintegrated into rolls of useless fat; and, as is evident from my greeting, my Dutch still sucks. So getting back into the blogging may require shaking off some rust.

Also, one actual and non-metaphorical thing that Mr. Van Winkle and I both did during our respective hibernations: We grew beards for a little longer than was prudent. See Exhibit A:

Exhibit A

...and, basically, the similarities end there. See, whereas Rip grew an awesome beard during his 20-year slumber, I grew an asymmetrical abomination. Even homeless men looked at me with pity in their starving eyes, thanking the heavens that, although they were without income, food, or lodging -- and possibly hope -- at least they could grow a decent beard.

AM described that "...it was part wolf, part molester, part santa, part amish", but I'm guessing that's just a kind way of saying "fully revolting." Sigh.

So, anything happen with you guys since June? Me? Oh, not a whole lot, really...

I went overseas for a good three months, where I got stranded twice in remote areas in the middle of nowhere and was able to witness the inner workings and daily living of the US Military (the latter basically means eating bad food three meals/day and living in poor housing conditions). It was an adventure.
The Beard in its nascent stages
Immediately after returning to the US, the beard had outlived its stay (see aforementioned homeless men pitying me as a possible reason), and let me tell you, trimming and shaving the thing was EXHAUSTING. The whole epic saga took at least 45 minutes and required the type of physical stamina and resolve that you only see/read about in classics like The Odyssey or Rocky. I unashamedly admit that midway through shaving I took a short break to rest my fatigued arm, and I may or may not have given myself a pep talk in the mirror sometime along the way ("C'mon, man, FOCUS! Don't let the beard beat you" "Pain is nothing. You're better than this!", etc, etc). I collapsed, completely exhausted, at the end of it all.

The two weeks after returning home were complete chaos, but I suppose it was for a good cause, because at the end of it all, I got married, which was all pretty awesome. It was all a blur of dresses and flowers and having my picture taken (ugh), but most importantly, a day spent with my lovely wife (formerly AM and now Mrs. RoSA, who I'm sure you'll hear from from time-to-time), my family, and all of my closest friends throughout the years.* Honeymoon involved flying to London to hang out for a bit, then catching a Transatlantic Crossing from England back to the US. You know, just like the Pilgrims did in the olden days!

*The whiffleball games played at my bachelor party were some of the funniest moments of my life

So yeah. That's been the last bit of the happenings here. Now it's back to normal life, and normal life involves blogging. Like I said, gotta shake the rust off, so bear with me.

PS Apparently this video going viral was the biggest development back in the States whilst I was away? This is brilliant, and I'm proud that -- despite a still-recessed economy and Sarah Palin actually being taken seriously as a political figure by some -- America was able to come up with this:



So run and tell that, homeboy.

9 ideas preached:

Barbaloot Mon Dec 06, 01:15:00 PM EST  

Good to see you back. And congrats on that whole getting married thing.

Also, I wanted to know what that Dutch stuff at the top meant, and when I googled it, your blog was the first to come up.

Jenna Mon Dec 06, 01:31:00 PM EST  

Welcome back! I missed your posts. Glad the wedding went well. Wish I could have been there.

Josh Mon Dec 06, 01:32:00 PM EST  

aaaand, we're back...glad to be reading you again.

Unknown Mon Dec 06, 02:55:00 PM EST  

So what is the relationship between the video and your honeymoon? I hope you didn't...

Joy Mon Dec 06, 03:08:00 PM EST  

You're back!

Congratulations again on the marriage!

mateicho1 Tue Dec 07, 06:32:00 AM EST  

YES! You don't know how much I missed your blog on late nights like this one, Josh-- when the essay writing gets a little too tiresome to continue, why not lighten the mood with a little bit of RoSA?

The wedding was fun, wasn't it.

Kate Tue Dec 07, 09:55:00 AM EST  

Glad to have you back! And thanks for getting that song stuck in my head again - I'd just managed to get it out. My biggest question though is whether or not Antoine Dodson ever found the intruder?

jendw Tue Dec 07, 02:34:00 PM EST  

Arthur told me that song broke into the top 100-- and the Andre given the lyric credit, he must be making a decent amount of money...
welcome back!

Anonymous Thu Dec 09, 08:40:00 AM EST  

m-red flavour eliquid for electronic cigarette electronic cigarette retailers albuquerque [url=http://connections.blackboard.com/people/22e982982b]electronic cigarette volcano [/url] electronic cigarette 120 s electronic cigarette dissection.png

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP