PETA: There's More Than One Way to Skin a Cat...But...

>> 17 July 2007

PETA is an acronym for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Translation: Crazy Animals’ Rights Advocates

I realize this may be a sensitive topic with some, considering that most people find animals endearing in some way. I remember crying when my goldfish died and we had to flush it down the toilet.

I’m not writing this to debate Animal Rights. I think animals are great, pets are great to have*…so while it may not be on my “Top 10 List of Reasons Why the World is Going to Hell in a Handbasket,” protesting the cruelty of animals--part of what PETA does--is reasonable enough to me.

I do believe, however, that PETA is undermining itself with its own idiotic and absurd tactics. So much so, that a former PETA employee declared that: “Many of us [activists] believe that the further we distance ourselves from PETA, the better off the animal rights movement will be” (see quote). I’ve read reports of them financing criminal activists and supporting violence against various animal labs, research facilities, and things of the sort.

Honestly, I can’t speak to any of those because I didn’t do enough research. Anybody sitting at a desk with time on their hands who wants to hash it out for me is more than welcome. I say that PETA has committed some serious blunders which have, in my opinion, done more damage to their cause than help. They prevent me from taking them seriously; in other words, they've shot their own horse out from under themselves, clipped their own wings before they were able to take flight, ________ (for added irony and humor, feel free to insert any cliched phrase for self-sabotage involving an animal). I guess what I’m trying to say is is that PETA as an organization appears to currently be run on the raging hormones and teenage angst of a 15-year old boy, as evidenced by their ad campaigns and letters.

Regarding campaigns, there have been extensive ads that employ Pamela Anderson as a spokesperson, not to mention other vulgar tactics that basically, without going into details, objectify women. I’m sure Pamela Anderson believes in the cause, and she certainly draws attention to the cause with her public support. But let’s be honest: Does the demographic that she appeals to seem likely to turn that attention into support for the cause? Here’s where I believe those raging hormones are blocking rationality.

Now for the letters and other public statements. I saw one read on CNN the other day that I wish I could recall, but the best I could find was a recent letter to Michael Moore (click here to read), in which PETA told him: “there’s an elephant in the room, and it is you. With all due respect, no one can help but notice that a weighty health issue is affecting you personally.” Now, I am no fan of Michael Moore, nor am I denying that he is overweight. But is this a way to garner support? Other letters and public statements are no better; they just end up making PETA come across as an immature, mentally-stunted 15-year old buffoon (wait...would PETA take that as an insult or as a compliment? That’s probably debatable) that resorts to petty insults and language to convey their point.

Someone may argue that my blog reads like I’m the immature, sarcastic jerk. I won’t deny that. The difference between me and PETA (oh man…there had better be more than one), however, is that while I write for fun and hopefully to get a laugh out of some friends, they want to be taken seriously by an international community. But I guess I’m beating a dead hors--wait, I guess I shouldn’t use that expression, either…

*NOTE: I do realize that animal rights’ entails that they shouldn’t even be held as pets, but…

5 ideas preached:

Ben Tue Jul 17, 10:29:00 PM EDT  

---(Even if animal research produced a cure for AIDS), we'd be against it.. — Ingrid Newkirk, PETA President

Ingrid Newkirk is a moron. I wish I had a stronger word than moron. But it gets even better.

---As it turns out, PETA supports ESC research as a way to end animal research. While PETA acknowledges that “unfortunately, the majority of stem cell research is done on animals,” PETA sees the research as having “the potential to end the vast majority of animal testing.”

---That seems to be quite a compromise from PETA’s usual extreme positioning with respect to so-called “animal rights” – PETA’s web site avers that “Animals are not ours to exploit” and “Animals are not ours to experiment on.”

This only proves that their whole philosophy is based upon devaluing human life.

caseytanner Wed Jul 18, 03:46:00 PM EDT  

after doing some mild research I found out that PETA is even against the use of seeing-eye dogs . . . what's up with that?

also, this may have been common sense to all, but PETA is all vegetarian (the only reason I thought that maybe they wouldn't be is because I assumed that they might be somewhat rational and accept that there is an "ethical" way to consume meat. . .)
which makes me wonder, is PETA only against humans eating meat or all animals eating meat? like the black bear who ate that 13 year old kid in UT the other week, that animal didn't treat the kid "ethically" so now what?

do they have any concept of the circle of life?

I know they oppose more than just the eating of meat, but in regards to that, do they try to concert every species of omnivores into herbivores?

JD Wed Jul 18, 06:16:00 PM EDT  

casey-
no one but elton john truly understands the circle of life.

Anonymous Thu Jul 19, 08:56:00 PM EDT  

No doubt Case. They need to lobby against all carnivores. There are so many carnivores. What about insects. Tons of animals eat insects too. I mean true herbivores are few and far between. Plus how many herbivores accidentally intake an ant while they nibble grass. All animal species need to go. Leave this planet to the grass.

Travis Ringger Thu Jul 19, 10:08:00 PM EDT  

Is that Sting kissing the monkey?

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP