Bite me, Beckham

>> 19 July 2007


If I have to hear one more attempt by the media to make a clever play on words using "Bend it Like Beckham" to allude to the arrival of David Beckham and his wife to America, I may have to do myself a favor and commit seppuku (click here for an opportunity to learn about another culture). Anybody who would like me to act as their second, just let me know.

My title may not embody American hospitality, so I apologize; I have nothing personal against Beckham. In fact, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he's a nice person.

My beef here is two-fold. I take issue with the media latching onto anything so that they can get more readers / viewers (no, I'm not an idiot and realize that this is what the media does to stay in business...), and I take issue with overrated athletes. Beckham is one of these. He's just a washed-up pretty boy that has a limited set of soccer skills.

I grew up playing soccer and it is still one of my favorite sports, and in a way I think it's good that a well known name is coming here to raise US appreciation and understanding of the game. Beckham will probably open some doors and draw some bigger crowds. Don't fool yourself, though. His alleged desire to spread "love of the game" may or may not be linked to the exorbitant amount of money he will earn (possibly $50mill/year).

But I'm guessing the novelty will wear off soon. The ultimate irony to me is that as people come to understand soccer better, as Beckham hopes, they will realize that he's just not that good.

5 ideas preached:

caseytanner Thu Jul 19, 09:43:00 PM EDT  

now you're just being a hypocrite. I came to your blog as a last resort to get away from all this Beckham craze, and look . . .

Anonymous Thu Jul 19, 09:47:00 PM EDT  

touche or whatever that dumb french word is

Peg and Parker Thu Jul 19, 09:49:00 PM EDT  

Beckham Schmeckham. I'ts a big - stand in line behind Paris and Anna Nicole who's baby, and So you think you can sing, dance, or who gives a crap what.

JD Thu Jul 19, 09:55:00 PM EDT  

Damn, Case...I should cater to a less intelligent readership that doesn't challenge what I write.

emm Sun Jul 22, 07:55:00 PM EDT  

josh. some harsh words about the man who used to be on the box of macadamia chocolate covered nuts in japan. of course we cannot see his greatness, but that might be because he was only given 15 minutes of playing time. in reality, even great players need a little more than fifteen minutes to prove themselves... (i am not saying he is the most amazing player ever...but in his prime, he did some great things.) you make a great argument also (like always).

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP