America's Coffee Addiction

>> 29 August 2007

So I realize that this entry would have been timely about 10 years ago to this day, but I have to write about when I was ordering breakfast with Casey and Jenna in downtown DC after our White House Tour (separate story for another day -- let's just say a guard was ready and willing to beat yours truly with a black baton for having "slanty eyes" and Casey got reprimanded for sitting in a chair).

Anyhow, we walk into a place called Cosi to grab some breakfast bagels. I ordered my sandwich and they asked me what I wanted to drink. The dialogue went (roughly) as follows:

"Would you like something to drink with that?"
"Yes. Milk, please."
"Coffee?"
"No. Milk, please."
"For your coffee?"
"No. Just a normal cup of milk."

Now I understand that miscommunications take place. I also know that I have the tendency to mumble sometimes. But honestly.

I think those of us from this generation saw earlier indicators of America's need for a coffee fix in our classmates in high school, and most of us noticed that at some point the number of Starbucks in our hometowns outnumbered the number of people. But who knew what it would grow into?

America is so in need of coffee in the morning...well, let's try this one on for size: How many times have you heard a coworker say: "I haven't had my coffee this morning..." as an excuse for poor performance, and then had the supervisor nod their sympathetic understanding and add: "Hey, could you brew some up? I need to get a start on the day, too." Addiction is an understatement. If you can't function without it, and going 24 hours without it is the cause of crippling headaches, that's called withdrawal, a symptom of addiction.

Or when you can't order something as simple as milk at a cafe because the employees' vernacular is limited to "coffee", that might be a symptom as well.

7 ideas preached:

Anonymous Wed Aug 29, 10:57:00 AM EDT  

Too funny. You know another thing to add to the mix are those stupid energy drinks that in some cases I believe surpass coffee for the amount of caffeine. Don't quote me on having more caffeine though, I'd have to find the reference I read recently. Its a recent thing usually they don't but still have a ton of caffeine I believe.

caseytanner Wed Aug 29, 07:07:00 PM EDT  

agree. Those energy drinks are ridiculous, and seriously what's the need? I'm a believer that exercise does more to energize you than the drugs. I get my daily dose of endorphins at the gym each day, and I get more energy than I know what to do with.

Peg and Parker Wed Aug 29, 10:23:00 PM EDT  

So I was just wondering if that addiction you speak of might just include a certain brown and fizzy drink known by code as DC or to some who shall remain nameless as DDP. Might those also be included as those all too well defined addictions? What , the Sonic, Rt. 44, Extra Ice, three lemons, oh and I'm a regular customer? And.. It's 9:00 o'clock .either a.m. or p.m. that's all. Tisk!

Anonymous Thu Aug 30, 12:19:00 PM EDT  

"I am not drinking it if there is no ice in it..."

"Who ARE you?"

Loretta and Richie Thu Aug 30, 02:49:00 PM EDT  

Hey Josh. Just wanted to shout out a hello. We're still enjoying your blog!

JD Thu Aug 30, 07:10:00 PM EDT  

Energy drinks. Red Bull, Monster, Tastes-like Urine Water, Boo-koo. Every house party I ever went to in Provo had the guys who made a point of walking around with one of them in hand, just so they'd look like they were pushing the edge. The only drink anybody ever looked cool walking around with is a 1/5 of JD.

Barbaloot Tue Oct 02, 01:42:00 PM EDT  

All I have to say is that I'm jealous you live near Cosi's. That's gotta be one of the best restaurants ever.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP