"I'm a Moron" Series - Part 2: Battlefield Earth Viewing

>> 08 February 2008

The Series has returned slightly more quickly than I would have liked. This one was caused partly out of curiosity -- that's right, PETA, the very thing that killed the cat -- and partly out of an unfulfilled obligation to a friend from high school.

It was the perfect storm. My sisters had purchased a Netflix subscription for me, giving me access to movies I that I normally wouldn't pay to rent; a leaked video of Tom Cruise being interviewed about Scientology had just come out; I had some free time after work during the week... All I needed was some courage to watch one of the reputedly worst movies of all time, based on an L. Ron Hubbard book: Battlefield Earth.

Friends have heard me throughout the years frequently use Battlefield Earth as a synonym for unbelievably bad or terrible -- not just for movies, but as a universal standard: "Dude, don't eat there. Their orange chicken is SO Battlefield Earth" or "Don't take his class. He is a Battlefield Earth professor" etc etc. You get the point. I figured if I was going to use it, I should at least see the movie.

Okay, well, first of all, that's a lie. I don't think I've ever used Battlefield Earth as an adjective. But I wish I had.

Alright, alright. I'm delaying the inevitable. Here's my review:

This is the absolute worst movie I've ever seen. I loathe it. I despise anybody who had anything to do with it -- this includes myself. Anybody who owns this movie should consider medication. Even sitting at the bottom of a landfill, this movie is a complete waste of space.

I'm sorry. You want a systemized review instead of my wrathful rants? Here you go:

  • Dialogue? You know when dogs first meet each other and sniff each other’s butts? I consider this more intelligent and meaningful interaction than what they tried to pass as “dialogue” in this movie. (-3 stars)
  • Plot? Blows. (-20 stars)
  • Character Development? Characters were one-dimensional: HORRIBLE (I've given up on my arbitrary star system by this point)
  • Entertainment Value? I'd rather walk through snow barefoot, step on a rusty nail, then get shot in the knee. What the hell. Make it both knees.
  • Special Effects? I think King Kong -- the 1930's one -- had better special effects.
  • Overall - I usually give at least a star for having made a movie, but this film's existence is actually working against it in this category as well.
I've reflected on what I could have done with the two hours I squandered. I could have been enjoying a nice meal, taking a nap, reading Ja Rule's autobiography, getting my foot run over by an 18-wheeler, drinking a gallon of curdled milk -- any of these myriad of options would have been a less painful... and, quite frankly, more productive use of my time.

Filling up my bathtub, getting in, and dropping an electric appliance in with me.

Sorry, ideas just keep coming to me.


I've made some mistakes in my life. I'll admit that. I think we like to take mistakes as lessons to learn from and try to move on.

There is nothing to be learned from this one, except: DON'T WATCH THIS MOVIE.

9 ideas preached:

Jenna Fri Feb 08, 10:41:00 AM EST  

You sound like Casey when he talks about "Stealth" being the worst movie ever. The 1930's King Kong part was my favorite. You're so funny! : )

Unknown Fri Feb 08, 11:28:00 AM EST  

Kill me now...the graph is killing me softly...why put yourself through the torment? Oh- so you can blog about it to make the rest of us feel better about life... thanks JD- so selfless...

Peg and Parker Fri Feb 08, 12:44:00 PM EST  

Oh Yeeeaaah! What a great review. And, you will never get those two hours of your life back. But you are not quitter Josh. There is something in that...what I don't know, "but ideas keep coming".. I laughed out loud several times. You are funny, no question. So Great! Peg

Anonymous Fri Feb 08, 02:43:00 PM EST  

I am going to head your warning on this one Josh. If I can spare anyone else from another bad one I would emphatically campaign against the movie Aragon. I would rather run out of TP at someone else's house with a stomach ache than watch that movie again.

Ashley Fri Feb 08, 02:59:00 PM EST  

That is hilarious! I am impressed you could sit through the whole thing. Your review cracked me up!

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Fri Feb 08, 06:37:00 PM EST  

I should probably be doing some serious introspection following this, seeing as how I actually volunteered to suffer through it with you. However, I have to say that I feel strangely (in a masochistic sort of way) honored to have shared this twisted and seriously painful, but oddly monumental experience. Thanks Josh D.

caseytanner Sat Feb 09, 01:58:00 PM EST  

Nartker, great analogy. And I've never seen Battlefield Earth, but Stealth is hands down the worst movie I've seen, and quite frankly can even imagine existing.

Melody Mon Feb 11, 03:35:00 PM EST  

Josh, you crack me up. Just the title 'Battlefield Earth' sounds like a warning to me. Like 'Lord of the Rings' gone wrong. Thanks for taking it for the team. By the way, Aragon is pretty bad-so bad that I'd rather Jason run out of tp at OUR house with a stomach ache than have to watch it again.

P.S. Jason loved the movie 'Stealth'! haha!

Anonymous Mon Feb 11, 04:47:00 PM EST  

Did not. . .

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP