Underground Addictions

>> 21 February 2008

Another confession.

Everyone has different smells that they enjoy. Most people like flowers or the ocean or new car or some other smell that is easily marketable in a Febreeze can.

For me, it boils down to sharpie markers and gasoline. Something about stepping out of the car at a gas station and having that smell hit my olfactories is -- how does that old cliche go? Like a warm blanket? That's not right, but I can't think of anything better.

Am I addicted? Well, you won't see me buying cases of extra-potent sharpies out of some guy's trunk in a 7-Eleven parking lot at 3AM. And you probably won't find me underneath an overpass huddled over a bucket of gasoline. Gas prices are so high now, drugs are probably cheaper anyway.

I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but this tendency to sniff markers after unscrewing the cap isn't my fault. This was ingrained in me since my preschool days and I am not accountable... I blame Sanford.

"Who?"

You know, the company that decided to produce those scented colored markers that you used for coloring stuff when you were little. They teach you
to get strung out before you can string simple sentences together! This preempts marijuana as the "gateway drug" by YEARS.

I seem to remember reading in one of my psychology classes that the best way to learn about something is to engage as many of the senses as possible; not just the sight and sound that are usually accompanied with school, but, if possible, to engage smell, touch, and taste as well. I suppose that this was Sanford's guise for this product. But do I really need to be reminded of what black licorice smells like when I'm struggling to just color within the lines? Honestly.

And how the hell is turquoise a representative color for mango?? (I looked up their product listing)

So thanks, Sanford. I may have a solid idea for what cherry smells like, but now I'm trapped in a cage of your making.

8 ideas preached:

Unknown Thu Feb 21, 10:08:00 PM EST  

Yeah well if it wasn't Sanford it might as well have been Elmers... and that is just gross...

jendw Thu Feb 21, 11:24:00 PM EST  

For me, it was those Strawberry Shortcake dolls. Lemon Meringue was the best one.

Nowadays, I like to sniff fresh basil, clean laundry, and almond extract.

Anonymous Fri Feb 22, 01:14:00 AM EST  

So true. I had those markers.

Doug Clark Fri Feb 22, 02:13:00 AM EST  

I only wish the madness ended there. Problem is many highlighters have a similar effect. So much for only marking the portions of text that are key to what you're reading.

I get so high off the brightliners I've switched from the skinny to the fat markers -- they last longer and are more potent. This behavior is largely similar to chainsmokers who break the filters off their cigarettes.

When my teachers call on me in class and ask me the legal issue of the case I just stick my nose to the neon-drenched page, sniff in until my lungs are about to burst and smile a real big, creepy smile. Come to think of it, I haven't been called on in a while...

Peg and Parker Fri Feb 22, 02:05:00 PM EST  

I loved those markers and even kept them at home for the "kiddies to do their homework". I had no idea I was part of a plot of pandemic proportions. (pant) We just blindly follow the trend. (hyperventilate) I'm starting to rethink fruit roll-ups and slap bracelets. Aahhrrgg!

Melody Fri Feb 22, 05:35:00 PM EST  

I had those markers! The sad thing is I can still remember how some of them smelled. Worst: Brown. It was supposed to be cinnamon but smelled rotten. Best: Blue (blueberry) mmmmm...and Pink (watermelon i think). There must be a relationship there because I also like the smell of Sharpies and gasoline!

Kauti Nicholls Fri Feb 22, 09:00:00 PM EST  

Hi Asian Josh--remember me? It's Kauti from freshman year....Well I saw your blog from Haley's blog and thought I'd say 'hi.' Hope you're doing well. I'll send you an invite to my blog if you give me your email address. Have a good one

emm Sun Feb 24, 10:46:00 AM EST  

I will have to warn my students about the "Drug addiction" and labels like Sanford. As I was reading your blog, the thing that is my warm blanket or natsukashii smell is the aroma of freshly cooked rice...

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP