Tagged - Enjoy, Sis

>> 26 February 2008

So my sister, Juli, virtual 'tagged' me from her blog, because she was "interested to see where [I'll] take this." I think you're supposed to list five things about yourself and then tag five people, or else you will be cursed with your secret crush not liking you, or the plague, or alcohol addiction...something like that.

Listed below are six -- how's that for taking things somewhere, huh, Juli?!? -- that you might not (and didn't care to) know about me.

1. Talk to me after I wake up - I don't always say everything that's on my mind, but if you want to catch me without a filter, do it after I wake up. I'll say exactly what I'm thinking. Anecdotal illustration: Back at the Y on a Sat morning, some friends I was planning on going to go paintballing with called me at 9am (I had forgotten):

-"Hello?" (italics in this narrative indicate dazed and confused)
-"Josh, hey, are you coming?"
-"Huh?"
-"Paintballing. We're waiting for you."
-I start crawling out of bed in my underwear: "Can I play with no pants?"
-"What? Uh...I guess...you could do that...you know, if you wanted..."


2. I punched a girl once - Casey was our FHE dad back at the Elms. For the activity he brought two pairs of boxing gloves and some slips of paper. We were to write who we wanted to see box each other on the slips. I ended up being pitted in The Octagon against a girl that had broken up with my roommate a few months back. I insisted I didn't want to fight her, but she kept coming at me, and the last time she did she swung with her left, I grabbed it, gave her a little tug to the ground, and gave her a little love tap to the right cheek. When I got home, the roommate asked "How was FHE?" "It was fine. I boxed your ex." slight pause -- "Sounds about right."

3. I clubbed a kid with my lunch pail
- We might as well get the violent stuff out of the way. I had a sweet plastic Voltron lunch pail in Kindergarten. This kid on the bus ride home kept bugging me, so I smacked him over the head with it. The bus driver guaranteed me I was getting a ticket. When my stop came, I slid right off the bus. She probably mistook me for the other Asian kid on board.

4. I’m a contrarian
For some reason I like to make conversation difficult for people – but not in a confrontational way. I can’t explain it. Two illustrations:

Illustration 1

Friend: “Josh, you know you don’t always have to be contrarian.”
Me: “Yes I do.”

Illustration 2

Friend: “I ran 10 miles yesterday and I am sore.”
Me: “No you didn’t, and no, you’re not.”
Friend: “I’m pretty sure I know what I did and how I feel.”
Me: “Uh huh”
Friend Reconsidering Friendship: “I can’t believe I’m arguing with you about what I did yesterday.”
Me: “Believe it.”

5. I like baby foodBelieve it. When I played in all-day soccer tournaments those little gerber glass jars of fruit puree (not that veggie puree…gross) had tons of nutrients needed to get some quick energy. Maybe that’s why I love those Naked and Odwalla smoothie drinks so much. They taste the exact same and cost about the same per ounce.

6. I make up words - As you all know from my B.E. entry, I make up words. This isn't all that unique, though, because I think a lot of people do. I do, however, specialize in verbs that represent a tendency that someone has, and base it on their name. Some examples:

  • "Go ahead, just James Joyce me." JJ is an author famous for employing stream of consciousness. If I'm talking with someone but they keep getting tripped up b/c they can't seem to organize their thoughts, this is the phrase I use. (trans. "Just spew out everything on your mind and we'll sort it out later.")
  • "He/she totally Paul Walker'ed that." I use this with actors and movies a lot, mostly with The Fast and the Furious franchise -- correction, let's call it a debacle -- in mind. (trans. "He/she took a movie that already looked horrible based on previews and made it even worse with their horrible acting.")
  • "I just got my trash Shigeko'ed." I love my mom. One of the many loving memories I have of my childhood, I remember her always licking her thumb and aggressively scrubbing something off of my face. I didn't like it. (trans. "I was just treated in a rough manner by an otherwise well-intentioned individual.")

And the list goes on.

I break the mold and end the tagging here. I’m more of a reformer than any of the presidential hopefuls claim to be.

7 ideas preached:

Anonymous Wed Feb 27, 03:06:00 AM EST  

I noticed you labelled it Battlefield Earth. Are you trying to say its a Battlefield Earth post, because I thought it was rather good.
Oh and I remember the boxing and I had to think of the ten girls there, which of his exes you boxed. But then I remembered. Why of all of us were you the only one paired to fight a girl? :)

Peg and Parker Wed Feb 27, 09:50:00 AM EST  

Loved this post Josh. Boxing with girls and lunch box violence hummm. I have a visual image now of you growing up. I'm with your cute mom. No self respecting mother would allow her son/daughter to leave the house without a good thumb and spit once over. It's really for the good of man and womankind. See, you turned out fine.

Ben Thu Feb 28, 08:10:00 AM EST  

Googling "sarcastic asian" brings up Josh in the #2 and #3 spots! Congratulations Josh. In time, I'm sure you will claim #1.

Loretta and Richie Fri Feb 29, 02:47:00 PM EST  

Learned a little about you reading this one. Fun.

caseytanner Sat Mar 01, 01:46:00 AM EST  

just for the record, JD was paired with a girl cause we figured it was the only person there that he had competitive chance with.

JD Sat Mar 01, 04:23:00 AM EST  

casey speaks the truth-- and i thank him for his mercy

Ashley Clark Thu Mar 06, 08:55:00 PM EST  

For a person with such a violent history, you sure have excellent spiritual insight. :-) Thanks for your thoughts about my lesson. I used them, and it went great!

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP