The Closest I'll Get to a Doctoral Dissertation

>> 05 February 2008

I don't like to brag, but I'm going to seize the opportunity of having my own blog and do so anyway.

A while back, I submitted a paper for publication to an
Asian studies student journal at BYU called The Rice Papers. A few edits, some critique, and 1 1/2 years later, I found out that I was actually going to get published in said journal. If you are bored enough, as in considering watching a rerun of Full House-bored, click here to read. Trust me, I won't be insulted if you don't.

Thanks to Josh & Fran for seizing as many hard copies as they could get their vicariously (on my behalf) greedy hands on and mailing them to me for distribution. Thanks to Dr. Stoneman for mentoring. I will be heading downtown to the Smithsonian to magnanimously donate a copy for their keeping. Maybe I'll go to the National Archives. I don't know.

My only complaint -- you knew I couldn't do an entry without one, didn't you -- is the title: The Rice Papers. I don't know. You would think if you're going to go for a blanket stereotype of something, you would go strong. My suggestion was The Yellow Pages, but I suppose that that's more offensive than insinuating that all Asians live in houses with rice paper walls.

It's all subjective.

5 ideas preached:

Unknown Tue Feb 05, 09:13:00 PM EST  

And on top of that the first essay or whatever the rice they are. What about a new title: Slantey Eye-deas. I know my stereo type is horrible, but just agreeing the Rice Papers is a bit of a stereotype.

Peg and Parker Wed Feb 06, 10:43:00 AM EST  

K. First, I must caution readers that your statement abut boredom is false. Second, I found the reading delightful and enlightening. Third, I've been waiting to read this for like... ever. So thanks for the posting and I encourage the reading. The umbrella story had a fun parallel to "The God's Must Be Crazy" don't you think? Loved it.

Barbaloot Wed Feb 06, 07:45:00 PM EST  

Josh-it's Barb. I was bored at work, so I read it and really enjoyed it. I've never even heard about the stories, but they were cool. Nice work.

Loretta and Richie Thu Feb 07, 07:46:00 PM EST  

I'm going to read your article when I find time.......... Great Job getting published!

caseytanner Sat Feb 09, 02:02:00 PM EST  

Congrats, and the Yellowpages is a great idea.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP