My Day in Court

>> 26 June 2008

Yesterday I spent part of my morning at the County Courthouse. Up until a month and a half ago, I had failed to switch my license to a Virginia one and was told by the policeman who caught me that I could get the fine dropped if I simply showed up to court and showed the judge my new VA license. Seemed simple and harmless enough.

I'm sure it is the influence that "Law & Order" exerts in my life (and each of yours... admit it!), or the heartfelt desire to please you as the reader with some blogworthy material, but I was disappointed that it really was that seamless and undramatic. Quite the letdown.

Honestly, I don't view myself as a demanding or particular person, but where was the wife-beater male chauvinist who went on a misogynistic tirade at the judge because she was a woman? Where was the Russian mafia drug dealer headbutting the bailiff? Why wasn't I handcuffed in a metal chair next to some lowlife who reaked of urine and gasoline, asking "what're you in for...murder?" Why wasn't Jack McCoy -- or Sam Waterston...in character or out, that guy is intimidating, legally speaking -- and his oddly attractive assistant prosecuting me for trampling the rights of the People by violating the law? If I'm going to be in court, I expect something more.

I got nothing. Me saying "your Honor" three times, showing my new license, and a waived fine. The most intimidated I felt was when I walked towards the bench and wasn't sure if I had zipped up my fly or not. I know. Lame, right?

Notable end to my otherwise bland outing to the courthouse, however. The parking garage had me take a ticket upon entering and then pay in cash at an automated machine afterward before I left. The parking fee was $1. All I had was a $20 bill. What does the machine do? It spits 19 $1 bills back at me.

I don't know what to do with it. It's embarrassing to carry around or have in my car. Ugh.

8 ideas preached:

Unknown Thu Jun 26, 03:37:00 PM EDT  

and thus we see... why we should hate the government for refusing to live up to our hollywood expectations... ugh.

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Thu Jun 26, 07:25:00 PM EDT  

if they made court THAT exciting EVERY time people would be breaking the law ALL OVER the place. i heard it doesn't start getting exciting until your in for your second or third time, or until you've been caught stealing someone's organs or trafficking puppies or something equally as dramatic...gives you something to shoot for i guess.

Peg and Parker Thu Jun 26, 08:41:00 PM EDT  

So glad to know that you are trying to obey the law of the land. Dramatic or not, you were being good!

Jane Thu Jun 26, 10:26:00 PM EDT  

I would be willing to take the 19 $1 bills:)...for free of course.

Anonymous Mon Jun 30, 04:07:00 PM EDT  

Jane...He'd probably be willing to give the singles to you...for a service of course. (cue the bow-chicka-wow-wow music)

Loretta and Richie Mon Jun 30, 07:38:00 PM EDT  

All I'm wondering is what you bought with the five missing singles. By they way, if I was a judge I wouldn't give you a fine either. Nice guys deserve to be rewarded. You can quote me on that:)

Doug Clark Thu Jul 17, 12:44:00 AM EDT  

Do what uncle Douggy does with 19 singles...make it rain!!!

Anonymous Thu Jan 14, 06:30:00 PM EST  

I wish not agree on it. I think warm-hearted post. Expressly the title-deed attracted me to review the intact story.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP