Sports Blog

>> 17 June 2008

Oh yeah, some friends and I started a sports blog. Depending on who's writing, we'll write or post interesting articles on various things going on in the sports world. Bookmark, if you so wish, or enter it into your Google Reader. Make comments, so we know someone's reading. Here's the initial entry from 10 June that I made for the site:

I haven't followed the NBA closely in years. There's something about overpaid, whiny adults that doesn't appeal to me as a spectator. I do acknowledge, however, that this could simply be a personal preference, considering the popularity of unbearable shows like "Grey's Anatomy" and "The Real World" (Granted, I don't know if the perpetually-longing-to-return-to-my-frat-boy-glory-days individuals on "The Real World" get paid, but if it's anything more than -$200, or the highly-inflated currency of a foreign country, it's too much).

This NBA post-season, however, I have been glued to each playoff game.

I attribute this to a few factors. And yes, while one of them is definitely "the elimination of the Spurs," they are just as (if not more) boring to write about as they are to watch. I'd rather talk about Kevin Garnett.

This has nothing to do with me jumping on the Celtics bandwagon once they got good this season. I am still contemplating jumping on, given the age of the team. It has everything to do with having grown up and loved watching KG in all of his raving, ranting glory. I've never seen anyone play sports with his passion, or the barely-bridled enthusiasm that so many of the pros lose as they view playing ball as a chore -- a multi-million dollar chore, mind you -- and not something to be loved. Garnett loves it, and you can sense that watching him play. You can hear it in interviews with him.

Admittedly, it is that same intensity that sometimes scares me a bit. It almost reminds me of that one spelling bee girl from about ten years ago, who would talk to herself during the competition like she was possessed. Anyone remember her? ...Bueller?




KG's intensity is almost like that. Minus the social awkwardness and overall dysfunctionality. And eventual ostracization by society and peers. Man, that was a really poor analogy. Apologies to the Big Ticket on that one. But seriously. Have you seen him do stuff like this?




Whatever. My point: I love to watch this guy. Especially when he makes big plays--

--Yes, the big plays that are inevitably followed by his requisite swearing tirades. I know I haven't renewed my lip-reading certification (come on, if they have a Beer Judge Certification Program, this is not outside the realm of possibility), but I would liken watching him swear to the urge that non-Spurs fans get to knee Bruce Bowen in the crotch -- it's not so much the
frequency that surprises you, but the intensity with which it happens. You ever wonder why KG, often the biggest superstar on the floor, is never mic'ed up during the games? It's because the NBA would automatically be banned from the networks and relegated to HBO and Showtime.

My only concern is what will happen to KG if the Celtics do win the Finals. He may explode. Or it may be like an Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark-type thing. I dunno.

3 ideas preached:

Peg and Parker Tue Jun 17, 05:53:00 PM EDT  

Love the new look to the Blog Josh! I am also scared by the Spelling Bee Chick. I had an idea there were those types out there, but had never witnessed it right in front of me. Eeeek! New Sports Blog with the lads? What fun. It will be peas and carrots. Way to go!

Julie Tue Jun 17, 07:44:00 PM EDT  

I can't believe I made it through this post. Sports, blehg. But that spelling bee thing was awesome. I watched it with some friends and we had a good laugh. That will be me by the end of this program.
Is slamming the ball against his head the weirdest thing he does? I kind of enjoy intense people. From afar.

Anonymous Wed Jun 18, 01:41:00 AM EDT  

Both of the videos are already down. How'd that happen so fast.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP