Signs? Coincidences?

>> 23 October 2008

Remember in Signs when a sober and pre-anti-Semitic version of Mel Gibson is talking to Joaquin Phoenix about how some people view events as "signs" or miracles and more than mere coincidence? In times of indecision, a lot of us look for the sign that will show us which is the correct decision to make.

I had one of those moments of indecision this past weekend.

Josh M (of the faux-stache) and Dave (of the beard) and I had planned to stay at a friend's place in Charlottesville, VA on Friday night and then head to Fayetteville, WV early Saturday morning to check out "Bridge Day" (more on this adventure later). As I am currently working a crappy work schedule, I was feeling exhausted Friday morning and told both of them I was wavering on going. Both of them tried to talk me into going. JoshM attacked via IM and Dave pounced via cellphone. A classic pincer attack.

Me: Man, I am not feeling good. These night shifts are killing me...I don't if I can handle this weekend.
JoshM: What?!? I gotta convince you to go.
Me: Good luck.
JoshM: Dude, did Dave tell you about the Elton John concert?
Me: The what??
JoshM: The guy we're staying with down in Charlottesville may have four tickets to the Elton John concert tonight.
Me: I don't know how to reply to that.
JoshM: Yeah, I know. Four guys going together to an Elton John concert is a little suspect. But I hear he puts on a pretty sweet show.
Me: Ech. I don't know how much Elton John I could handle.
JoshM: That's the thing. The tickets are free, so we can say we rubbed shoulders with some sissies and then bail if it's lame and not feel bad about it.
Me: I don't know if I want to be able to say I rubbed anything with anybody at an Elton John concert.

And so I remained unconvinced. Dave tried his best over the phone, but I still couldn't decide if I was up for it.

Then, it happened.

After I got off the phone with Dave I walked into the grocery store to buy some stuff. As I was going through the aisles, I realized that the music playing over the PA was "Rocket Man" -- an iconic Elton John song. This was my sign. Mel Gibson was right (about signs and miracles; NOT the Jews). And while Elton John would not be my first choice, I was meant to go on this road trip.

I called Dave on my way home to let him know I was in, and told him to call me when he was on his way to pick me up. He called a few hours later to let me know he was almost to my place:

"We're on our way. Oh yeah, dude...in the interests of full disclosure...we didn't get the Elton John tickets..."

I never thought I would be so crushed to miss an Elton John concert... But what about "Rocket Man" playing in the grocery store? What about my sign?

It's an absolute conspiracy, and I collectively blame Mel Gibson, Sir Elton John, and M. Night Shyamalan for my misfortune.

Reader: How do you explain this? What did the sign mean?

3 ideas preached:

Barbaloot Thu Oct 23, 10:30:00 PM EDT  

I don't think there would ever be any sign that leads you to go to an Elton John concert. Ever. Signs leading away from that? Absolutely.

Although, picturing you at an Elton John concert did make me smile. A little.

Slicktian Fri Oct 24, 09:15:00 AM EDT  

Congrats man. That's the first blog post I actually found interesting. AND then I read your WNBA post and lost it. Well said my 1/2 Asian friend. if you wanna blog on my stupidity last night please feel free.

Melody Fri Oct 24, 02:44:00 PM EDT  

Jason always teases me for liking some Elton John songs. For instance, I like "Tiny Dancer", but every time we hear the chorus "...hold me closer tiny dancer", Jason sings "...hold me closer Tony Danza" which completely ruins the song for me. I don't know why I shared that, but I did.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP