My Pops, Tom

>> 25 November 2008

A week late, but I've been tardy posting as of late.

So I had the typical 18 November phone conversation with my dad -- the same one I've had for the past ten years:

JD: Hey dad! just calling to say happy birthday!
D: I appreciate the phone call and you thinking of me. But I would prefer not to think about getting older...
And such it is with my dad. He doesn't like the spotlight and is perfectly content to do his own thing. I think a lot of people are surprised to find that I attribute a good deal of my own personality to him: some sarcasm, a tendency towards introvertedness, willing to let others make their own choices and not take control of the situation. I guess hands-offishness is the technical term I'm looking for. Encouraging might be another. All of these are great things, in my opinion.

Dad also instilled in me a thirst for knowledge and books, and an appreciation of music and culture. He always has his nose in a new book, is watching some documentary/history channel thing, is always looking for something new. When we (me, Jen, and Juli) were kids we would travel a lot as a family, get out and see how things were outside of the country, etc. Invaluable experiences that he and Shigeko facilitated. Now I think they're in competition to see who can dote over their grandkids more. So far it seems like they're dead even.


Now he's on a Bob Dylan kick. Has a bunch of albums, some books, and went to a concert in Canada the other week. Love it. I guess the lines at the border coming back from Canada were long; Homeland Security was being thorough and it was taking a while. The border guard asked my dad what his business in Canada was.
Dad: Went to a concert.
BG: The Bob Dylan one?
Dad: Yeah.
BG: I was there, too. Alright, go ahead.
Gotta love it.

Happy birthday, dad!

1 ideas preached:

Julie Tue Nov 25, 05:23:00 PM EST  

Aw cute. You are that way JD. Very encouraging to others. Like the time I cried over gchat to you about boys. Or the time you helped me get out of my blog funk. Yay for Tom and yay for JD.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP