My Public Defacement -- Photo of the Week 3 Nov 2008

>> 03 November 2008

...and clear, runaway leader for Photo of the Year, I might add.

Context: This photo was sent to my sister by her friends who were riding the University of Utah line of TRAX (public transpo system in Utah). Click the photo to get a larger view.

The humiliation. The crushing blow to my self-image. The instant I saw this I collapsed and pulled a Nancy Kerrigan: "Whyyy?!? Whyyyyyyy?!?" I wouldn't be surprised if Tonya Harding herself -- who happened to be riding the TRAX, was consumed by jealousy of my celebrity amongst the narrow BYU Independent Study-demographic -- hired Jeff Gillooly to do the job with a permanent sharpie.

I'll tell you why I find this offensive and reprehensible. First of all, my mustache doesn't grow like that: We all know it would never get that long. Second, I'm offended that the person didn't draw in a Fu Manchu beard. Where's the racial stereotyping? Why did they see fit to give me a creepy cowboy mustache from the 19th century? If they chose to go that route, they could have at least put in the extra effort and drawn in a hat, a trenchcoat and me brandishing some six-shooters. I'm deeply offended.

"I'm sorry, I can't be your huckleberry."
I think what hurts the most is that if someone would
have put in a little more effort, I could have
been running
with Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer. Lame.

But in all honesty, this picture makes me laugh every time I see or think about it. I hope to get back to Utah soon so I can dress in the same shirt, take a textbook with me, and sit right next to the poster for like an hour. Just to see if people notice.

Thanks to Jenny and Steve for their vigilance against defamation and vandalism.

9 ideas preached:

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Mon Nov 03, 07:17:00 AM EST  

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I really don't know what else to say about that. Seriously, I am still dying laughing...although I agree that it was insensitive of them not to stay in keeping with the overtly asian nature of the photo when crafting your Beelzebub-like 'stache.

Barbaloot Mon Nov 03, 09:07:00 AM EST  

I'll be honest....it was me. I was jealous of the fact that you've made billboard and TRAX fame while I'm stuck never leaving the pages of Squared magazine. It hurts.

Anonymous Mon Nov 03, 10:12:00 AM EST  

OMG dude, that is so awesome. you are handsome as an asian gunslinger from the wild west.

Anonymous Mon Nov 03, 11:48:00 AM EST  

That's awesome. At least your mustache looks happy.

caseytanner Mon Nov 03, 12:11:00 PM EST  

At least they didn't draw a penis on your face, like on "10 things I hate about you."

Jenna Mon Nov 03, 12:15:00 PM EST  

That's so funny! By the way, you're in the BYU magazine again. I think you're their favorite picture. You must of doubled the enrollment for Independent Study or something :)

Anonymous Mon Nov 03, 01:23:00 PM EST  

Casey... watching chick flicks???

John Mon Nov 03, 01:45:00 PM EST  

Love it. I remember when I saw your picture as employee of the month in that office. Kept me coming back time and time again.

The Preece Family Tue Nov 04, 12:49:00 PM EST  

This is a clear runaway leader for POST OF THE YEAR!! Seriously, Steve and I can't decide which was funnier --- the photo, or your blog post about the photo.

Also, did you know that we have NEVER ridden trax before until then? We only did that day to let Ashley "ride the train" to the museum because Steve had the day off. What are the odds we got on not only the very train, but the very section of the train that happened to be the scene of the crime? If only we had been there to witness it happen in person...

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP