Why I Would Suck As a Diplomat

>> 20 November 2008

Remember that integrity thing I was talking about earlier? Why don't you just go ahead and toss mine out.


The other day I was talking with my sister Jen on the phone, doing some catching up. She told me she just got back from running 13 miles. An immediate alarm went off in my head.

JD: Wait, Jen. Are you--? **deep breath** ...Are you training for a marathon?

Jen: Yeah. I was thinking about running one at the end of February.
**Insert crotch-punched-feeling here**

See, for the past few years, I have slowly been getting boxed in on the Endurance Sports Front. Various family members and friends have -- unsuccessfully -- attempted to persuade me to run marathons or other distance races. I was always against long-distance running. All that self-discipline, goal-achieving, and sense of accomplishment was for snobs. Being the stubborn person that I am, the more people suggested I participate, the more I dug in my heels.

Jen was my last hope. Although Jen ran a half-marathon this year, I felt like she had yet to cross over to join my sister Juli and her husband Ben on the endurance sports side. Yes, 13.1 miles is more than I've ever run and is extremely admirable, but the operating word there was "half." She was still with me; not with them.

It all changed with that fateful phone call. With that conversation, I became the pariah of my family; I am the North Korea/Iran to my family's international community. I am isolated, becoming marginalized, and my family is tightening the grips on me. Am I being passively coerced into doing a marathon?

I'm afraid I might go against everything I've preached for the last few years and choose to run a marathon. Something tells me I would suck at the negotiating table in international politics -- I'd buckle before the other guy even said anything.

It's all politics.

As for everybody else that contributed to the pressure, you know who you are.

Folsom, CA -> Sacramento, CA. Bring it.


Endnote: My family has never tried to manipulate me into doing this -- This must be my competitive side kicking in.

8 ideas preached:

Ben Thu Nov 20, 06:55:00 PM EST  

Hahaha

Nice work Josh. Just wait until you start running. You are going to be wicked fast.

Chowda.

Barbaloot Thu Nov 20, 07:32:00 PM EST  

Nothing like the unexplainable need to best your siblings to get you do run a marathon.
I'm in the process of training right now, too. But I get to be the one that makes my brothers feel guilty. Cuz their little sister ran one, and they didn't.
Good luck training!

Paige Thu Nov 20, 07:39:00 PM EST  

Josh- I saw your blog address on facebook and stalked you here. Marathons are totally for masochists. I just ran one. I should know. Check it out: http://girlsdontsweat.blogspot.com/2008/10/262-miles-of-glory.html

Jason Nartker Thu Nov 20, 07:44:00 PM EST  

Nice. . . I'm glad to be able to join in the pain with you my friend. I don't calculate how long ago I ran cross country in years, but in excess pounds since my running days. I have a ways to go thanks to the desk job. Let the training begin!

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Thu Nov 20, 10:39:00 PM EST  

Just do it josh, you know you can't resist it much longer...

Michael Thu Nov 20, 11:13:00 PM EST  

Josh,
When my friends talk about their marathon euphoria I think to myself... "You clearly don't have my best interests in mind. If you did, you wouldn't be passively coercing me into putting myself through 26.1 miles of pain."

Anonymous Fri Nov 21, 09:21:00 PM EST  

Josh- I also get a kick out of your blogs. Have you ever heard of the rock and roll marathon. They are held all over the country. Its definitely a laid back one. I did the half marathon a couple years back. All i can say is that its a event that changes you. Think about it.

later

Troy Fri Dec 05, 05:38:00 PM EST  

I feel you, not only are people running marathons, but it seems that every one who hasn't, at least has it as a long term life goal. I wish I was there, but my life goal is to have a life goal of running a marathon. I may get there someday...

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP