Memories From The Grudge -- Photo of the Week 17 Nov 2008

>> 17 November 2008

With Halloween having recently passed and the release of Saw V -- the latest iteration of a movie series that easily falls under the "Survivor"** classification -- I present this week's photo.

The whole Halloween season reminded me of a very simple fact that I readily admit: I don't do scary movies. I just can't handle them. Especially ones with freaky children. I think deep down for a very long time I always knew this, but the manly side of me would never fess up to it.

But it all became glaringly apparent a few years back when some friends and I went and saw The Grudge in the theater.

My friend Casey is an emotional guy. It usually manifests itself in hypercompetitiveness, but it also translates into the amplification of emotions while watching movies. In the case of The Grudge, that emotion was FEAR. Granted, had I not sat next to him, I still would have been scared. But sitting next to Casey sucked me in emotionally and multiplied my fear threefold.

Afterwards, my roommate, Rye, wanted to drive his girlfriend home, but I wouldn't let him leave me alone. Casey's wife, Jenna, just made fun of us for being scared.

And I think as a way to rub it in, Jenna rented The Exorcism of Emily Rose some time after that. You can imagine how the dialogue went as I was over at their apartment late one night:

JD: Well, what're our options [of things to do]?
**Casey remains silent**
J: I rented The Exorcism of Emily Rose. We should watch that.
JD: Oh no no no. I'm not watching that thing.
C: Come on, man. You gotta stay and watch it with us.
JD: No freakin way. Who has to drive home by himself after it's over?
C: Fine, fine. How about this. We watch it in the middle of a huge field in the middle of the day.
J: Okay, that's lame! No way we're watching it that way.
JD: I am not watching that movie. Period.
C: Well, I can't watch it by myself!
JD: You'll have Jenna here with you, dude.
C: She can't protect me!
I think Jenna -- understandably annoyed at our cowardice -- ended up having to send it back to Netflix, unwatched.

*The "Survivor" stamp is derived from the TV show and can be applied to anything -- athlete , celebrity (Paul Walker, Keanu Reaves), business (McDonald's), country (Canada) -- that held very little to no promise from the outset and should not survive, but somehow continue to defy intelligent reasoning by attaining some measure of "success" (based on no merits of their own, mind you). Saw V? Really? In a country that claims a literacy rate of 99%, I ask: How is this possible?

8 ideas preached:

Anonymous Mon Nov 17, 03:46:00 AM EST  

Reminds me of watching Casey and Nartker watch The Ring while I worked in the same room. Too funny.

But I have to say certain things just aren't enjoyable to me like scary movies. What is enjoyable about being scared? Similar and I know I stand alone here, but roller coasters. I'm going to pay how much to be thrown around like a rag doll by some machine controlled and assembled by carnies.

Peg and Parker Mon Nov 17, 01:17:00 PM EST  

I have never met Jason, but he and I are on the same page about 1. scary movies and 2. thrill rides. 1. I'm not going to watch them. I don't care how many of you want to see the movie, I don't like feeling scared. 2. I will gladly hold all the purses and stuff and wait for you all to ride "Batman, the Ride", or "Corkscrew"!. None of those activities make you brave or cute for doing them if you don't enjoy them. Me= no enjoyment. I never have been and never will be a thrill seeker. Period. Deal. I like that we have just bonded Josh. Sigh.

Jenna Mon Nov 17, 02:14:00 PM EST  

Good times. I can't help that I don't scare easily, but I'm definately not scared by the supernatural.

From a person that likes to get scared, but rarely gets the pleasure, it is the thrill of it. It gets my blood pumping and I like it. I watch scary movies and go to haunted houses hoping to be scared. I love roller coasters too. I think they are both releatively low/weak on the thrill-seeker list though. Real life stuff is a whole different thing though. The thought of being raped, losing Casey, someone kidnapping Weston, etc. scares me, but it is a whole different feeling. Movies are pretend and made for enjoyment, so why not enjoy them?

Josh, wish you could have been there when we watched our scary movie on Halloween :) Casey had me make sure all the windows and doors were locked and I had to sit really close to him. Casey getting scared is usually more enjoyable than the movie :)

donelle Mon Nov 17, 04:58:00 PM EST  

Love your photo of the week posts. And I would have to agree with you on this one, for sure. Just looking at the picture for The Grudge gives me the creeps. I will never understand why people think that getting scared is fun...whatev!

caseytanner Mon Nov 17, 09:38:00 PM EST  

wow, i would have been embarrassed if Jenna had told you that halfway through this years scary movie, i wouldn't go to the bathroom in our own apartment without her standing guard at the door.

Kerstin Miller Mon Nov 17, 10:45:00 PM EST  

I think you're forgetting one thing. When you let rye stay with you... that girlfriend that had to drive home by herself got freaked out. Let's just say I have never watched a scary movie since.

Jen Tue Nov 18, 12:13:00 AM EST  

Paul Walker = hot. Like I wish I could watch THE Ring, THE Grudge, or THE Exorcism of Emily Rose (why do scary movies overuse "THE"?) with his chiseled features and rock hard abs.

I don't do scary either, in fact, I didn't want to date a guy because he watched SAW 1-3 in one weekend. What kind of creeper does that?

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Tue Nov 18, 09:00:00 PM EST  

i don't like scary movies...they get me in trouble...'nuf said.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP