The Complete Idiot's Guide to Identifying Butt Rock

>> 06 January 2009

Readers and friends often ask me: "What exactly is 'butt rock?' And if it is the musical equivalent of the Black Plague, as you claim, why do you keep bringing it up? That's just stupid."

First off, calm down. Insults are hurtful.

Second, you know the reason I bring it up is because back in high school I found some old butt rock concert t-shirts at Goodwill and started collecting them. Why the butt rock fixation when I know it sucks? Not quite sure on that one. I guess my counter to that question is: "What the hell is wrong with Mike Tyson?" See, both are good questions, but ones that we may never know the answers to.

Regardless, as a result of the strange draw that Butt Rock (BR) has on me, I have acquired some knowledge about the genre over the years and wish to impart it. Let's get down to the nitty gritty.

BR (aka "glam rock" "hair metal") was a musical product of the 80's -- and if the 80's were the modern Dark Age of movies, fashion, and music, then BR was indeed the accompanying Black Plague. Much like the Black Plague that scourged Europe in the 1300s, BR was the omnipresent scourge of its time; both nearly toppled western civilization; both thrived in unsanitary conditions; both had lasting, detrimental effects years after their peak -- and lastly, the prospect of either returning in a newly mutated form is terrifying enough to be a Stephen King novel.

Let me first list what is not needed in BR:

  1. Musical talent
  2. Good looks
  3. Intelligence
  4. Shame
  5. Dignity
Still with me? Good.

Now, to the must haves.

Everything that is BR can be illustrated with a good BR concert t-shirt. I have one of the best:

This shirt tells us a lot about BR. First, you need a stupid band name, like Judas Priest, Def Leppard, Cinderella, Quiet Riot, Whitesnake, etc. Big hair and leather are absolute musts. I cannot emphasize this enough: BR without big hair and lots of leather is like Tony Stark without his Ironman suit. And when I say lots of leather, I'm talking the band should be wearing the equivalent of at least 50-60 entire cows' hides worth of leather. Songs about women and struggles with drug/alcohol addiction are essential -- as is the occasional "power ballad" to show the groupies that the band has a sensitive side.

What else? Let's flip that concert t-shirt over for more clues:

Need I say more?

I should teach a Music History class.

8 ideas preached:

Barbaloot Tue Jan 06, 12:53:00 PM EST  

You forgot yellow teeth and everyone thinking "I-have-big-hair-therefore-I-must-be-cool."

Thank you for the lesson.

Lawcraft Tue Jan 06, 06:17:00 PM EST  

RAM IT DOWN

caseytanner Tue Jan 06, 10:46:00 PM EST  

Maybe this was implicit, but I don't think you mentioned that the leather need be unbearably tight

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Wed Jan 07, 10:49:00 AM EST  

I think your Butt Rock = Black Plague analogy may have just made a monster ballad leap to #1 on my "Best Figurative Allusions" list. Well done.

Anonymous Thu Jan 08, 11:33:00 AM EST  

You are too young to be a judge of 80's big-hair hard rock. It's like someone of my generation judging the Beatles.

JD Wed Mar 25, 08:01:00 AM EDT  

Excellent point, Cap'n. I should only have opinions on things that come from my generation.

Josh Hauser Wed Mar 25, 09:52:00 AM EDT  

So Cap'n does that mean that any historian who writes a book or an essay about some past event would be ill-advised to do so because he was not of that generation?

Steve Thu Jul 02, 09:56:00 AM EDT  

Music has sucked since "BR" went away. Why do you think all the 80's bands are coming back now?!?! It is b/c there is nothing as good and fun in the music industry since they left!

Plus, you have to understand what the OTHER music in the 80's was like to appreciate that this WAS ground breaking and against the mainstream. Granted, just like grunge and "alternative", it became mainstream and killed itself, all the big names recognize this.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP