Lightning Bolt! -- Photo of the Week 12 Jan 2009

>> 12 January 2009



"Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!"

Okay, I've strayed and posted a video instead of a photo, but if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video of something like this is worth an unabridged version of War & Peace. I have no idea where, but WJ found this a few years ago and I watch it when I feel like I'm not doing anything productive or worthwhile with my life. It always helps. Nothing quite like watching others reenact D&D to boost my own self-confidence.

Confession: Until a few years ago, I was ignorant. I thought D&D reenactors occupied the backwoods of some hillbilly state. Unfortunately, this naive assumption was dead wrong. I was driving home one night in Provo around 3AM, came to a stop at a red light, and glanced at the park to my right.

It was one of those strange realization moments. Remember in The Matrix when Neo takes the blue pill, wakes up in the real world, goes on that slippery slide, gets picked up by Morpheus's ship, pukes all over because he's completely disoriented, and then Morpheus states matter-of-factly: "Welcome to the real world." I felt like all of those things had just happened to me -- the urge to puke was especially strong -- in that split second when I realized that a D&D reenactment was taking place in the city I currently lived. I guess I had to come to grips that this was part of the real world.


Can someone make a documentary of this? Please??



End note
: You know, as I was typing this I saw a commercial for the Snuggie, and I wondered how they are still in business. Suddenly, I not only know the answer to that question, but also who their biggest customers are.

6 ideas preached:

Barbaloot Mon Jan 12, 09:07:00 AM EST  

Confession: Whenever I am angry at someone or trying to make a quick getaway, I throw a couple lightening bolts.

Julie Mon Jan 12, 02:07:00 PM EST  

Conversation with my dad yesterday:

Dad, I'm cold!

Well, darn it, I knew I should've gotten you a snuggie for christmas.

HE WAS SERIOUS. I have to admit, I'm a little curious.

Ben Mon Jan 12, 08:34:00 PM EST  

Those lightning bolts were wicked!

Ben Mon Jan 12, 08:51:00 PM EST  

I just watched it again. Seriously. What do you do about those lightning bolts? They are coming fast and furious. And you can't block them.
Your best bet would be to bait a big hole with a twinkie. That hole would take a lot of turns to dig though, meanwhile you are just getting electricity in the butt. Maybe you could put the twinkie in a tree hollow and catch lightning boy by his fist. Yeah, try throwing those lightning bolts while fisting a twinkie in a tree hollow, lightning boy! You can't even get your fist out! Then you could just wail on his immobilized and hungry bulk.

caseytanner Tue Jan 13, 01:54:00 AM EST  

JD, your End Note left me laughing hysterically. Thank you

John Tue Jan 13, 01:55:00 PM EST  

That was great, JD. I'm still in some denial though about Provo. Are you sure it was a D&D reenactment, complete with the now famous lightning bolt? Or could it have been the much cooler Medieval Reenactment club that only sticks to using steel?

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP