My New Caddy

>> 01 January 2009

One of the gifts my parents bought me for Christmas was a very nice Sanyo rice-cooker. It has the buttons and display screens of a nuclear launch control room and the cooking capacity to feed a large clan of sumo wrestlers. Opening that box was like when Elrond hands Aragorn the sword of the King in the last Lord of the Rings movie. It just felt like it was meant to be.


I described it to my good friend White Josh (WJ) who wistfully replied:

WJ: yeah i looked online...sanyo looks like the cadillac of rice cookers...or i guess the "samurai" class of rice cookers
WJ was going in a good direction with his metaphor. After much thought, I would present, for your consideration, a third way to label it: The "Palanquin of Rice-Cookers." You know, those small boxes Asian elite used to get hauled around in? They represented eliteness and luxury. They're pretty Asian. I think this analogy conveys all of these ideas.

On a barely-related sidenote (since I brought up the auto industry) my brother-in-law sent me this. Thought it was pretty funny (click for larger image).

6 ideas preached:

adamf Thu Jan 01, 10:40:00 AM EST  

I have a Zojirushi. When you start it it plays some version of twinkle twinkle little star. It's a great cooker though.

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Thu Jan 01, 10:11:00 PM EST  

I am having much jearousing

Ben Fri Jan 02, 06:21:00 PM EST  

How did they fit in those tiny Palanquins?

jendw Fri Jan 02, 06:52:00 PM EST  

When I see that rice cooker, I see the heavens open up, and hear sweet music playing. Very nice, little brother.

Loretta and Richie Sat Jan 03, 04:42:00 PM EST  

I can't believe people actually pay over $100.00 for a rice cooker. Is yours 5.5 cup or 10 cup capacity. Ya, that's right, I looked it up online. Fun gift.

Ben Mon Jan 05, 04:39:00 PM EST  

I love that poster.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP