Anvil, the Story of Anvil

>> 28 June 2009

Josh M found a documentary, Anvil, The Story of Anvil, about a butt rock band from the 80s that -- although admired by its more commercially successful peers and successors -- never quite struck gold themselves. (Unless, of course, you consider playing in European bars to a crowd of 2-15 people, 20 years past your prime, "striking gold.")

It is simultaneously sad and unintentionally hilarious. Like This is Spinal Tap. But disturbingly real.

Anyway. I figured most people dress up for movies they're excited about -- Transformers, Harry Potter, X-Men (I saw a kid at X3 tape butter knives to his hands to be Wolverine claws once. I think I focused more on him during the movie, just to see if he would accidentally gouge himself in the face when trying to eat a sourpatch kid. Wow.) So I capitalized on the opportunity and we dressed accordingly. The sad thing is that we were the only ones.

This first one has me and DJA looking to our shirts for guidance on what a good group photo should look like. Let's see if you can identify the reluctant participant in our adventure:


And the group photo we settled on:


Some critiques of our dressing up: Our unacceptably short hair; I should have photoshopped out Josh M's glasses. He looks much too intelligent; Banker looks even more depressed than the usual drugged-out hair metal band member. That's all I can think of right now.

Also, some encouraging comments made on Facebook after the posting of these photos:

I can't believe you have spread the BR madness to the East coast now.

Seriously--I cannot believe you still own that frickin' shirt.
Gee, thanks for your continued support, everyone. It's what keeps me going.

2 ideas preached:

Barbaloot Sun Jun 28, 11:17:00 PM EDT  

So, how would you dress up to go see Transformers? And if you're a fan of Spinal Tap (which really, considering your BR obsession is not hard to understand) have you ever seen Christopher Guests' other shows like "Waiting For Guffman?"

Amy Lovell Mon Jun 29, 12:54:00 PM EDT  

So hardcore!

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP