6 Is Basically 26.2, Right?

>> 20 December 2008

As some of you know, I talked about training for a marathon.

Well, I am now officially committed to the 14 Nov 2009 Run the River Marathon from Folsom, CA to Sacramento, CA. I heard that they give the runners a 50-meter headstart, then release the prisoners from Folsom Prison to chase after us -- like the Running of the Bulls in Pamplona. Added incentive to run faster than we normally would, I suppose.

I acquired a coach about two weeks ago -- he's my sister's coach and was kind enough to take me on after I applied for admission. (Actually, between you and me, I'm convinced affirmative action played a role in the decision...with my sister being only half-Asian, and Coach undoubtedly needing to fill his quota of at least one full-Asian runner, I was allowed in)

Anyway, I logged my longest run to date yesterday: 6 miles. I know. This is chump change to you seasoned distance runners, but it was raining and freezing out there. And those running/training montages from the Rocky movies? Not nearly as cool or inspiring when you're the one doing it.

Anyway, here's the running diary from yesterday's run:
Mile 0.02 - I hate this. I want to quit.
Mile 1 - Still hate this. Want to quit.
Mile 1.5 - Need to start brainstorming possible injuries that justify quitting.
Mile 2.5 - Thank you, thank you, thank you for iPods.
Mile 5 - Focus. All. Effort. On. Breathing.
Mile 6 - Just chant it. Tylenol. Advil. Motrin. Tylenol. Advil. Motrin.
Cooldown - There was a 30 minute span of time where I don't remember anything, so I'm assuming I blacked out.

7 ideas preached:

Tiffany Sun Dec 21, 12:47:00 PM EST  

You can totally do it. And 6 miles is nothing... come on you big baby. Jk. To be honest, since my marathon, I haven't run more than five miles....
And I might take you up on the offer for your photographs. Lemme know which ones you think would work. You will get almost all the credit too!

John Mon Dec 22, 01:27:00 PM EST  

Oh yeah, 6 equals 26.2. Once you get past 6, hey just do the same thing 4 more times and you're about there. Piece of cake, right??

Amanda Lynn, to be exact Mon Dec 22, 08:04:00 PM EST  

Dude you're not even close...just give up...it's over...you're toast! Just kidding. If I can run 13.1 you can totally run 26.2. And if you can't I will taunt you until you die of shame...so if that's not motivation, i don't know what is :)

caseytanner Mon Dec 22, 09:46:00 PM EST  

Funny stuff JD.

caseytanner Tue Dec 23, 10:04:00 PM EST  

So Jenna and I went for a run today in Temecula, CA (where her sister lives). We got a little lost, but 6.5 miles later we made it home.

Anne Mon Dec 29, 08:44:00 PM EST  

I know you don't know me (that's what you get for having your blog as your signature... ;) ) but as a seasoned veteran of run/walking lots of miles in a row very slowly, I felt it was my duty to let you know that it doesn't really get any better. I know that probably doesn't make you feel better, but the bragging rights (and medals) that accompany finishing a marathon definitely make it all worth it. Oh, and to combat soreness after a long run, try chocolate milk.

Good luck!!

Ben Tue Jan 06, 07:37:00 PM EST  

The blackout period of a workout is nice.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP