What's the Point?

>> 17 December 2008

I saw a book cover in the bookstore the other day, and I need someone to explain it to me.

The part that has me confused is "Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb." Before this, I was fairly sure I understood the purpose of a pen name, but just to make sure I turned to the un/educated masses on Wikipedia and found this:

Respected authors have used pen names to conceal identity and to provide differentiation when they have crossed into newer genres, etc. If Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens did it, I can't really argue against the practice.

(Apologies to Mr. Twain, who no doubt just rolled over in his grave because I mentioned him in the same entry as Nora Roberts. I'm debating which he would perceive as more insulting: Mentioning him and Nora Roberts in the same breath, or rounding up all remaining first editions of Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and burning them right in front of his eyes.)

I guess what I take issue with is why you create a pen name for yourself and then immediately identify yourself by your real name on the same book cover. This woman wouldn't last a second in the Witness Protection Program.

Am I missing something? I better be, and somebody better have an explanation, because I just threw Nora Roberts' name all over my blog and I'm feeling pretty insecure about it.

3 ideas preached:

adamf Wed Dec 17, 12:20:00 AM EST  

Yeah I don't get that either. It's like they want the anonymity of the pseudonym, but yet want the marketing of their real name. Or maybe it's their attempt at acting. Perhaps they take on alternate personalities when writing?

Julie Wed Dec 17, 01:05:00 AM EST  

After some intent google searching, I found out that she had written 3 books prior to releasing her name as the true author. So people were totally into these books and all these men were like "omg, these books are amazing" and they're hiding their tears in bed next to their wives who are reading nora roberts until the day that book came out and exposed their penchant for woman books. ha.

i don't get it though. i didn't get it when garth brooks was chris gaines and i don't like it that beyonce is sasha fierce. it shows weakness on their part like they have insecurity about their own identities.

pansies.

Anonymous Wed Dec 17, 03:25:00 AM EST  

And you call yourself the nomadic gnome? Who is the pansy now :)

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP