New Theory & Equation

>> 11 December 2008

So I was driving home from work. The car in front of me was lecturing me on my moral inferiority using five-word bumper sticker catchphrases. Look, I understand why people have bumper stickers. I have a Japan sticker and a BYU one on my car, because those are things I identify closely with.

However, there is pride in things that are important to you, and then there is excess:



This spurred me to develop a theory: The more bumper stickers on your car, in excess of three or four, the less people care about what you want to say.

...an equation:

(#BS > 3) ⇒ (Credibility)

...and a supplemental graph:

Lecture over.

7 ideas preached:

Julie Thu Dec 11, 04:23:00 PM EST  

You have some excellent data here. Can you create one with some negative externalities such as mullets and big mac consumption?

Just wondering. You're good at math. No big surprise here.

Jenna Thu Dec 11, 05:46:00 PM EST  

I was a little skeptical at first, but then I saw the graph and now I'm a believer. Genius! :)

Anonymous Thu Dec 11, 11:11:00 PM EST  

You could also throw in the value of your car on the same curve

Amy Lovell Fri Dec 12, 09:29:00 AM EST  

1.When did you take a picture of my car?

2.Why would you think it's ok to post mockery towards me?

3.Don't you agree that bumper stickers are one of the most powerful motivating tactics?

Doug Clark Fri Dec 12, 02:42:00 PM EST  

I have found that the more your car appears to be a modernized version of the Ford Taurus station wagon with a rear-facing 3rd row, the more likely you are to have bumper stickers. (Subaru Outbacks and Volvo Wagons especially...most hatchbacks fall in this category as well). I'm wondering if we can combine equations such that if you drive a station wagon you have no credibility.

Ashley Clark Fri Dec 12, 10:21:00 PM EST  

This is SO Seattle. And I'm not sure why Doug's dissing station wagons. He's always said that the first family car he'll buy me is a Buick Roadmaster, complete with wooden paneling.

John Mon Dec 15, 09:12:00 AM EST  

Love it. This post seems like it belong in a Seinfeld episode.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP