The Marathon -- Photo(s) of the Week 16 Nov 2009

>> 16 November 2009

Well, neither of my worst-case scenarios happened while I was out for my little run on Saturday:


(If given the choice, I personally would have preferred the fate of the former [collapsed, naked, and about to die] than the latter [streaming, bloody nipples... you ever try to shower with those?] Luckily, it came to neither)

Some might view traveling 2600 miles to run 26.2 impractical; or training for 10 months to run for 3.5 hours disproportionate. But it was worth it, and Nartker and I finished Run the River Marathon with the help of supportive family and friends. Couldn't have done it without them.




The smiling, un-pained looks on our faces are indicative of these pictures being taken at the 4-mile mark, and not at the end. If they were at the end, my face would have been contorted and twisted in a display of unbearable pain.

Some quick awards:
  • Mike Ditka Award: Coach. He may not have the mustache, but he had the same demands for discipline and high-performance that Dit-KAH demanded of his football teams. If I didn't have Coach driving me, I would still be collapsed on the side of the race trail today.
  • Pre-Race Comic Relief and Gutsy Performance Award: Nartker, who grabbed his Body Glide stick (anti-chafing material) before the race, headed into the bathroom, and came out declaring something along the lines of: "I think I just violated myself with the Body Glide." The man's legs also fell apart like a Saturn sedan, but he fought through a hurt knee, an Achilles heel issue and his body sucking up electrolytes faster than he could put them in in order to finish. Well done, sir.
  • Traveling Fan Base Award: Ma and Pops Dalton. Flew down from WA State to watch me a total of five times over the course of 3 1/2 hours. Granted, the painted faces and incoherent, drunken screaming of die-hards were not present in my parents, but their support was greatly needed and appreciated.
  • Dale Earnhardt / "I didn't plan on running 1/3 of a marathon today, but I did" Award: J and Casey Tanner. Tore through the suburbs of Sacramento, CA, channeling Fast & Furious driving skills (likely scaring my passenger parents half to death in the process) in order to get to as many spots along the trail as possible. They also ran a ridiculous amount alongside myself and Nartker as encouragement.
  • "They say patience is a virtue -- but damn, virtues are boring and lame" Award: AM. For having to deal with my "I've gotta go for a long run today" statements over the last half year.
  • The Consummate Dumba** Award: The Idiot-Girl in Sacramento. Unfortunately I wasn't there for this, but at one of the stops my parents and the Tanners went to, some imbecile impersonating a 20-year old girl got out and started dropping f-bombs on my mom and J because they thought they were dropping off marathon runners by car to get ahead. Right. The Imbecile, of course, could not be reasoned with because the capacity for logic and intelligent dialogue is housed inside of the cerebrum, a part of the brain that is reserved for the more evolved species -- like people, or reptiles, or amphibians and such. Well done, ma'am, and let's just say that the two fingers I'm throwing in your direction are not my thumbs.
Lest you get Marathon Recap Fatigue, I will end this entry here. I may have some more thoughts on it later, but for now I am going to go enjoy my vacation.


Happy Monday, all. Time for me to nurse my sore legs.

9 ideas preached:

Jen Mon Nov 16, 02:12:00 PM EST  

http://www.srtiming.com/files/MARATHON4.HTM and just so everyone knows. Mr Dalton here placed 1st in his division. I mean, come on Josh, be prideful!!! You owned the river.

John Mon Nov 16, 02:22:00 PM EST  

Congrats JD and Nartker, and all award recipients, especially the imbecile. Gotta love people like that. But really, congratulations on the finish!

Jennica Mon Nov 16, 03:00:00 PM EST  

Congratulations, what a great accomplishment! I can barely run a mile....ok a half a mile :D Fabulous finish, did you get a ribbon, certificate, medal?

Ben Mon Nov 16, 03:31:00 PM EST  

I hear SqeezeBacon is an excellent recovery meal.

Jason Mon Nov 16, 03:31:00 PM EST  

Since Dizzle didn't bother pointint it out, he won his division with a fast 3:30.

Barbaloot Mon Nov 16, 04:16:00 PM EST  

I can't believe I didn't get some sort of encouragement award. I mean, really---didn't I motivate you consistently throughout this ordeal?

How'd it go, by the way? Are you one of those crazies that would do another one, or is it more like a "checked off the list of things to do" scenario?

Amy Lovell Tue Nov 17, 12:44:00 AM EST  

Well done! Sore legs and all, just one more thing to check off the to-do list. So, DC half marathon in March? :)

Melody Tue Nov 17, 01:37:00 AM EST  

You did awesome! We're so glad you came out to run with Jason. I just want to know if your mom cut your hair in your sleep the first night you got to WA. :) :)

Ben Tue Nov 17, 01:20:00 PM EST  

P.S. Way too much clothing. A hat?? gloves??

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP