Be Prepared (So You Don't Do Something Stupid)

>> 30 April 2010

I think the Boy Scout motto is too simple: "Be prepared."

For what, exactly? Just a little more detail would provide some guidance, like "be prepared for natural disasters" or "be prepared for when you're bit by a rabid dog." For me personally, it should be something along the lines of "be prepared for anything, just so you don't make a STUPID decision" (or, alternately: "be prepared in case a clown hopped up on meth comes at you with a crowbar." Don't tell me it can't happen).

And that's why, even though the Civie is still driving alright,  I am preparing ahead of time and shopping for a new car now. I figure that if I do all of my research now I will know what I want to buy -- so that when my car DOES die I won't rush out in a frenzied, impulsive panic, and before I know it I'm driving home missing a kidney and 80% of my liver because I sold them as the down payment on a Bentley I can't afford.

Anyway. I'm hoping to avoid the Bentley-situation, so I've narrowed it down to three cars for very practical reasons:

1) Honda Accord/Civic - Dependability? Good gas mileage? WRONG. We all know that the Accord and Civic are the car models that are the most "Rice Rocketable," and we all know I be wantin to get my Tokyo Drift on on the suburban streets of Northern VA.

2) Toyota Matrix - This is one of the "crossover" vehicles, meaning that it's half-sedan, half-SUV. I need a car I can relate to and feel connected with, and this car understands what it's like to be a "halfie" caught between two worlds. This could be a good match for me.

3) Toyota Prius - I hear what you're thinking: "Yeah, it gets good gas mileage, but what about the massive recalls this year. And the sticky accelerator pedals. It's a death trap, man. Don't do it."

Well, you're probably right on all those accounts, but you're assuming that those would deter me because you  forgot HOW HARDCORE I AM. I want this car precisely because it IS dangerous, and because being strapped into a large piece of metal hurtling at high rates of speed, and possibly being unable to control or stop that vehicle, doesn't scare me. I live for it.

(No, but really...I hope Toyota fixed that pedal problem if I end up buying the car.)

You've probably noticed that my list is exclusively Japanese. I'm not called an elitist for nothing.


Anybody have suggestions or advice of their own?

5 ideas preached:

Dustin Fri Apr 30, 10:25:00 AM EDT  

I vote for the civic. i think you should buy this one: http://blog.makezine.com/BoatRebuild15.jpg.

Jason Fri Apr 30, 11:16:00 AM EDT  

We just need to know how many inches you plan on lowering your ride and what color light you'll put underneath. Then I can help you pick.

Barbaloot Fri Apr 30, 01:34:00 PM EDT  

I think you'll be happier if you get this: http://www.spiralpocus.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/customized-van.jpg. Plenty of room in case you start a butt rock band, plus storage for root beer.

jendw Fri Apr 30, 02:56:00 PM EDT  

Definitely a mini van. Join the rest of your siblings.

Chris Terrell Sat May 01, 09:56:00 PM EDT  

had my prius for 4 years now. Been a great car. Not to sound cruel or anything, but the people who have had floor mat issues or sticky gas pedals seem to have two things in common. Idiocy. For the gas pedal the solution is simple. Put it in Neutral. The floor mat issue, use the two hooks in the car floorboards. I can't get the things out when I want to when it is hooked to them

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP