Weekly Selects #32

>> 09 April 2010

Was busy yesterday watching movie plot hole after movie plot hole unfold as undeveloped characters delivered cliched dialogue in a special effects extravaganza; and yet still found myself entertained. Thanks, Clash of the Titans. So here we go a day late with some DC, and I apologize to any readers who are not able to see embedded YouTube clips, as I received a lot of these this past week. Let's do this:

-Via Gchat from Banker:

something for your blog?


Um, yes, please, and THANK YOU. These are all great, but I honestly think Arnold was best in Pumping Iron, mostly because it was a documentary (the key: NO ACTING REQUIRED) and you just got to watch Arnold brag about himself in all of his bulging, symmetrical, Adonis-like physical perfection. In college we called the Blockbuster (back when Netflix hadn't rendered "video stores" obsolete) to ask if they had it:

Us: Hi, do you have Pumping Iron?
Blockbuster Dude: Um. Let me check The movie from 1977?
Us: Yes. That's the one.
Blockbuster Dude: Yes, we have it.
Us: Okay. We'll come get it right now. Actually, could you hold on to it for us? Just to make sure no one grabs it?
Blockbuster Dude: ...Uh, I don't think that's going to be a problem. But sure.

-Via Google Reader share, some selected analogies and metaphors found in high school students' essays. Aspiring writers, TAKE NOTES:
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.
It hurt the way your tongue hurts after you accidentally staple it to the wall.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef
There are just too many good ones here. If you are/know a K-12 teacher, please keep record of these. These are priceless, if not humiliating later in life for the children.

-Via Google Reader share, the best custom pizza I've ever seen:

"I be tossin' and flossin', my style is awesome."

-Via Email from Kate:
I didn't know whether to laugh or to cry



My personal favorite is the sister in the middle seat. The disdainful look of utter disapproval at her parents' insensitivity, coupled with the folded arms, is amazing. If I ever get a look like that from my future daughter I'll probably curl up in a ball and never speak again.

PS I need to kidnap an Asian child.

3 ideas preached:

Barbaloot Fri Apr 09, 01:16:00 PM EDT  

Does Arnold have 160 quotes to choose from, let alone great ones? Questionable.

Also, I'm not sure if biology has been fully explained to you, but you don't need to kidnap an Asian child. You're fully capable of making one yourself. Just sayin.

Jason Mon Apr 12, 07:01:00 PM EDT  

I remember telling the pad at the elms about the movie Pumping Iron and then being the one that made that phone call to blockbuster. Their reaction was priceless, and spot on as well. To this day my wife has tried to throw out my VHS copy of the movie at least 74 times. . . that is vintage Arnold right there.

Nartker

Kate Mon Apr 12, 07:15:00 PM EDT  

That was unreal! I feel the same about kidnapping an Asian child... I need to.

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP