The Civie is Causing Some Noise

>> 20 April 2010

I am the proud driver of a 1997 Honda Civic. Besides the rusted tailpipe that dropped out on I-81 back in 2009, she's never given me much trouble. The Civic's nothing fancy, but she's reliable and gets the job done.

During our road trip to North Carolina this weekend, the engine started making crazy noises. It sounds like a cross between an air conditioner and The Smoke Monster on 'LOST', and it is embarrassingly loud when I slow down below 20 mph. My solution to this is to begin perfecting the skill where I pull into a parking lot, immediately shut off the engine, and have just enough momentum to coast quietly into my parking spot of choice. I will do it at work, in my apartment complex, and at the grocery store.

Although no functionality has (noticeably) been affected, I know I'm going to have to take it in to the shop. I guess part of me just hopes that it'll fix itself.

Another part of me hears that Smoke Monster noise and is half-expecting to walk outside one of these mornings and see John Locke in the parking spot instead of my Civic, staring at me with those crazy, intense eyes and holding an 8-inch hunting knife in his hand.

8 ideas preached:

Ben Tue Apr 20, 11:50:00 PM EDT  

My '93 Camry fixed itself when it lost a cylinder. It stalled at lights for a couple of weeks, but then adapted.

caseytanner Wed Apr 21, 02:01:00 AM EDT  

let me ask ya diss, would the noise from my old car kick the noise from your car's a**?

mateicho1 Wed Apr 21, 02:26:00 AM EDT  

i think caseytanner wins the prize for most incoherent comment.

mateicho1 Wed Apr 21, 02:28:00 AM EDT  

in a good way.

Jason Wed Apr 21, 03:31:00 AM EDT  

Casey's $100 car had that stalling feature builtin. Any time you dropped below 20 mph you had to pop the clutch. You could fill a weekly feature reminiscing about that car

Darci Wed Apr 21, 03:04:00 PM EDT  

Makes me think of the club wagon we all drove in high school -- it too sounded a bit like the smoke monster on Lost. The amazing thing about this two-toned blue beast was that when we eventually lost the keys for it, it learned to start with out them, and later sported a busted out back window, which we used to climb in and out of the car when we locked ourselves out of this key-less beauty. Things to look forward to!

canoethrasher Wed Apr 21, 03:15:00 PM EDT  

i love how you conveniently cut out your tokyo drift spoiler from the pic - and photoshopped out your ground effects.

Joy Fri Apr 23, 01:40:00 PM EDT  

Wu Tang name? Bittah Contender

  © Blogger templates Inspiration by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP